Thesis Guide: Sample Timeline
Plan ahead! Developing a project, completing research or creative work, and writing your thesis will be a year-long effort at a minimum. Consult with your honors advisor and honors faculty representative to determine a timeline that is appropriate for you.
Freshman & Sophomore Years
- Explore major options; meet with faculty teaching your courses
- Ask faculty and advisors about research opportunities in your department
- Get involved in research to develop topics of interest
- Discuss thesis options with appropriate faculty
- Select a faculty supervisor and additional readers (if required)
- Review current literature
- Define your thesis topic
- Begin (or continue) thesis research
Senior Year, fall
- Submit your thesis proposal form (or corresponding WorkflowGen process for students who began UHP fall 2018 or later) by the established deadline.
- Finish thesis research
- Establish a comprehensive outline to inform your preliminary draft
- Submit a preliminary draft to your faculty supervisor
Senior Year, spring
- Please consult your faculty supervisor for discipline-specific guidelines
- Submit final draft to supervisor and readers by by the established deadline.
- Submit revised draft to committee and arrange public presentation by the established deadline.
- Submit thesis completion form (or corresponding WorkflowGen for students who began UHP fall 2018 or later) to the UHP office in 390 Northrop by the established deadline.
- Submit PDF copy of thesis according to submission guidelines