Tutoring for an Honors Experience
UHP students can earn an Honors Experience for both paid and unpaid tutoring or teaching assistant positions. These opportunities serve to provide learning and enhancement of academic curricula for undergraduates or school-age children. A minimum of 45 hours per semester is required to earn an Honors Experience. (This applies only to students who began UHP prior to Fall 2018. Students beginning Fall 2018 or later should consult the Current Honors Requirements.)
Justice Page Middle School & Murray Middle School TutoringThe University Honors Program is proud to partner with Justice Page Middle School (Minneapolis) and Murray Middle School (Saint Paul) to bring UHP students in for tutoring opportunities. This is a fantastic opportunity to serve the community surrounding the University, as the Twin Cities has one of the largest opportunity/achievement gaps in the country. Minneapolis and St. Paul Public Schools hope to continue the program's success with the positive impact that UHP students have made in the past.
Tutors are typically asked to donate about 5 hours per week of their time to travel and work in classrooms with middle school students. Applications for fall 2019 tutoring are now OPEN! Past tutors must reapply each semester. The deadline to apply is September 2, 2019.
For those doing the Center for Community Engaged Learning (CCEL) module, tutors will also attend approximately 15 hours of workshops, one-on-one meetings, and reflection. This will consist of one 2.5 hour information meeting, a one-to-one meeting with an advisor, and some time spent on reflection. If you cannot make any of the following information sessions, please email Sam Newell.
- Monday, October 14th 4-5:30pm
- Wednesday, November 6th 11am-12:30pm
- Tuesday, March 3rd 8-9:30am
- Thursday, April 23rd 3-4:30pm
- Friday, June 5th 1-2:30pm
Is the CCEL Module Required?The CCEL module is strongly encouraged and may be required to earn an Honors Experience (see below). You are not required to seek an Honors Experience to be a tutor.
- Students who began UHP Fall 2018 or later: CCEL Module is required to earn an Honors Experience
- Students who began UHP prior to Fall 2018: CCEL is strongly encouraged, but not required to earn an Honors Experience.
- If you have already completed the CCEL requirement, regardless of your admittance date, you are not expected to repeat it.