Honors advisors guide students throughout their undergraduate career—from freshman orientation through graduation. Your Honors Advisor will help you:
- Identify synergies between UHP and collegiate degree requirements
- Select courses and prepare for registration
- Explore major and minor options
- Find opportunities for research and community involvement
- Connect with campus resources
- Plan for graduation with Latin Honors
- Develop post-graduation plans
Colleges of Focus: Carlson School of Management
Our Honors Advisors have regularly scheduled "drop-in" office hours, designed to help students with quick questions that require 10-15 minutes or less. Drop-in advising does not count as a "required appointment." For remote drop-ins, just click the time slot (the advisor's name) and you will find the Zoom link in the "where" field. If your drop-in modality is remote, you will be placed in a waiting room, and students will be admitted in the order in which they arrive.
You are required to meet with your honors advisor on a regular basis to ensure that you are successfully meeting honors program requirements and taking advantage of available opportunities.
- Freshmen and sophomores must meet with their advisor every semester, with one of these appointments being in-person each year.
- Juniors and seniors must meet with their advisor at least once per year (in-person preferred).
A hold may be placed on your record if you fail to schedule a required advising appointment. This hold will prevent you from registering for the following semester.
Advisor Email Policy
- If you can't make it to office hours, it's OK to email your Honors Advisor with a quick question.
- Please allow 2–3 business days for a response.
- If you need immediate assistance, please contact the office.
A UHP hold will be put on your account if you fail to schedule a required Honors advising appointment. This hold will prevent you from registering for the following semester. If you've met with your advisor and a UHP hold still appears on your MyU portal, be sure to click on the hold and check the "effective term." If the effective term is the semester for which you’ll be registering, call the office at 612-624-5522. Otherwise, don't worry.
Please note that a hold placed by your department or by any entity other than UHP must be addressed with that department or entity.
Orientation and Student Advising Appointments
Meeting with your Honors advisor is intended to be a time where students begin to build a relationship with their advisor. To create a space for this relationship-building, the University Honors Program (UHP) is committed to providing an advising environment that allows the student to feel comfortable and empowered to share their aspirations, their academic successes, and their challenges in a safe environment where the conversation is driven by the student. As such, UHP encourages students to come to appointments without family members or friends. The program understands that this can be a big step for many, but feels it's an integral one in allowing students to take ownership of their experience at the University. Students can, of course, choose to share information with their support system after completion of any advising appointment if they wish.